Take a relaxing stroll through Hyde Park and stretch your mind.
In just half an hour you’ll realise that the definition of knowledge is pretty tricky, and in fact, you might decide that you don't actually ‘know’ anything at all!
In this class I'll lead a fun discussion on what constitutes knowledge - how can we truly know something?
- Do you know something just because you believe in it?
- Is belief a sufficient condition for knowledge?
- Is belief a necessary condition for knowledge?
- What other conditions do we need for knowledge?
What will we cover?
- Introduction to the field of philosophy, and how philosophers build and defeat arguments
- Some initial ideas from how prominent philosophers have tried to define knowledge
- You get to challenge these philosophers (with my help), and maybe create your own definition!
What will you walk away with?
- You'll build your skills with logic and reasoning (which can help you whether you're building or critiquing an argument at work, or whether you're finding holes in your spouse's excuse for not doing the house chores)
- You’ll have a great topic of conversation for your next water-cooler chat / date / catch-up
You’ll notice that the total class price is the same, whether you attend by yourself or with 1 or 2 friends, so come as a group and at $10 per head, meaningful live fun doesn’t get any cheaper!
If the weather is bad or if you hate trees, we can go to a nearby cafe instead. Let's philosophise!
None. Just bring your enthusiasm!
Hyde Park, Sydney, NSW
The teacher can also travel within 2km of Sydney for private classes
Have been teaching for 10+ years and still loving it!
For this class
Review by Alexi (attended on 5 Feb 2018)
For this class
Review by Keiran T (attended on 24 Oct 2017)